Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine"

SO. I just felt the need to post. Otherwise there would be a really, really, really long post three days from now.

7 days and counting until I leave for my New York City trip with the illustration department, and I am so damn EXCITED. So excited, I bought a sketchbook and jellyfish-ized it last week, especially for the occasion:

My goal, although way out there, is to fill up most of it in NYC. Instead of taking photos I want to just fill it with everything I see. I plan on walking a lot and really taking it all in. We're assigned a three piece series in response to the trip, so I'm also using it for brainstorming and development.

Also this quarter, I'm taking Dimensional Illustration II, and am back to my fabric illustration. I'm assigned another series of three, any subject/story/etc. So, in Sorrento spirit, I chose to illustrate 3 Beatles songs [I may have said in a previous post that my intention is to illustrate their entire catalog before I die.]. The goal is to have a colorful, psychedelic and surrealistic quality; however, I would also like to have elements of time period, with a weathered and nostalgic look. So I've been trying to find vintage patterns, lace, etc. [If anyone knows where I can find vinyl fabric, let me know and I'll love you forever, maybe.] The final images will be photographed and have the lyrics inserted.

The first in the series is Norwegian Wood, from the Rubber Soul album.

Color Comp:


And progress so far:

Still needs a lot of work but I'm having fun with the way it's coming out. Tomorrow will be another full studio day.

One last quick thing, I was a part of a recent zine put out by some illustration friends, it's called SCHMUTzine, and there's a blog!


Ok, back to reading [Nabokov and Zappa's biography], and illustrating. Life is fantastic.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Youre dimensional is looking fantastic dearie!