Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Her name is Aphrodite and she rides a crimson shell..."

Hello.

I figured I'd update with some sketches from pieces I'm working on/working out to a final stage, mostly because it makes me feel better about life.

First off, I'm still trying to get this Jack White portrait down:


It's looking better, I still have to work on the hands and a few things on the guitar, but his face looks a little better I think. It's been a frustrating battle with this piece, but there has to be one or two of these in the mix.

Next, Hunter S. Thompson:


This should be done later tonight, and hopefully I can find a way to get a good scan of it before I have to give it up. I'm really happy with this one. Maybe because of all that yellow.

Some sketches for a painting of Eric Clapton:




These are in order based on development, which means I'll probably be going with something closer to the the last sketch for a composition. His face is just basic shapes right now, but this will help me when I get to the canvas.

I've discovered that painting a caricature is about a thousand times harder than drawing one, which I did not think was going to be the case at all. Either way, after these sketches I'm super determined to get the hang of it. I think I'll be looking more Phil Burke's way this time (check out his Warhol piece, love. love. love.) and be listening to a whole lot of Cream. I need to get more colorful, freer, and cleaner. I've been fighting with what I love lately, when I really should be fighting with other things, or just keepin' the peace.

Keeping this Rock-blues theme:


For my illustrative design class I'm designing a hot sauce bottle label. "Crossroads Hot Sauce" is my concept, with a devilish, southern blues mystery about it. Lots of antique looking designs around the middle drawing and possibly some old wallpaper in the darker areas. This is going to be a lot of fun! I plan on doing it in a gouache and colored pencil technique, like I did with my Sleepy Hollow pieces last year.

And just a random sketch I like:


Off to work.

Love.

Sorrento.

No comments: